Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is quite a trend nowadays. People are very conscious about their eating habits, indulge in monitoring their diet by some amazing nutrition tracking app introduced by app development companies, and exercise routines using cool lifestyle apps and gadgets. Diet and food tracker apps play a critical role in this endeavor by not just keeping its users aware of their health but also developing a whole community of sharing information among like-minded people. In this article, we help you understand every essential aspect of diet app development.
- How does an app for diet control work
- How to develop the best app for diet control
- Critical features of nutrition tracking app
- Pain points of most healthful apps
- Type of healthy eating tracker app
1. How does a diet and nutrition tracking app work?
- A user sets a goal, which is their current weight and the target in the app to scan food for calories or food and nutrition apps.
- The user then inputs information about their activities and the food they eat.
- The simple nutrition app then calculates the calories they've consumed and burnt.
- Make a diet online plan as per the information for users to meet their health goals.
Read Also: Development Process at CodeToArt
2. How to develop a diet and nutrition tracking software for ios and android?
- Idea introduction - The initial stage is of introduction to the idea and maximum research over the existing solution, finding out how the nutrition application for iPhone can be differentiated from other apps, listing down all the features of the existing solution, and then thinking on what exactly you wanted to target, for instance, if you want to develop just simple solution for calorie intake/outtake, or you wanted to develop B2B SaaS solution for dieticians.
- User Persona - In either of the cases above, first you should define the user personas for the best free nutrition app.
- Who are we building the product for?
- What do people want to achieve balanced health?
However, this is not easy to do with today's way of living when fast food is easily available while opportunities/motivation/time for physical activities is not available. Another problem is that the concept that physical activity needs to be in the form of running or going to the gym or other recreational centers. This is far from the truth. While this help, they are not always feasible for many people.
- Research - Next is conducting interviews and feedback from your target audience. Find opportunities to reduce users' pain points.
Help achieve weight/health goals
Tracker (Dietician, doctor, admin type user)
Enable third party branding.
- MVP development - Define the Minimum Set of Features for top nutrition apps with which you would like to go to market. Try a set of features that can be developed within 3 months.
- Define success criteria - For mobile nutrition apps which may be the MVP version is used regularly by people with a clear demonstration, for instance, it helps them achieve weight loss targets. First 500 to 1000 users after the 1st month of the launch of the product.
- Learn & Iterate - Now you have data on which you can pivot your diet and nutrition app for iPhone. This is when the software product itself will be taking shape and we finally know which features to be developed.
3. Critical features of a diet and food tracker app
- Registration and personalization - Firstly, the nutrition tips app should gather and analyze user data like gender, age, weight, preferred diet, any allergies, goals, level of activity.
- Dashboard - For the best user experience, a diet app should have accessible food logging features and an immense food dictionary. An informative dashboard of the app to calculate food calories that reflect the essential information about the user's progress and useful nutrition tips. For creating a database with detailed information about products, we recommend using a ready-made API, access to different kinds of recipes, ingredients, and even menu items that come with detailed nutritional information.
- Real-time push notifications - It is much required for increasing user engagement and retention. The nutrition tracking app should motivate users to keep up with the goal by sending calls to action or regular updates about current plans. Reminders about meals and other things.
- Barcode scanner - Your weight loss app with barcode scanner should have the ability to scan supermarket barcodes to get nutritional information and make the right choice while grocery shopping is a win-win.
- Integration with fitness trackers - The app for nutrition must integrate well with fitness tracker support to help users achieve the goal of calorie counts. Also, it will reduce the job of manually feeding data about exercise routines. Fitness gears like Fitbit, apple watches have tremendous mass appeal.
- Let users add their favorite recipes - Another option could be to let users add links to their favorite recipes and automatically search for and log the ingredients in them.
- Support - A proper support system is required as not every user understands how a diet app works. Just put a help button rather than a vast tutorial, and it will be easier for people to use your app.
- Cloud vision - Use cloud vision for the nutritionist app as a solution to barcode scanning. Next is image recognition and thirdly optical character recognition, or OCR, which lets a user point the camera at a label, and the application extracts text from the image.
- Dietary recommendation - The features will make your diet planning app more beneficial to users by analyzing a user's healthy eating habits and goals. A good diet and food blogs also help. A recipe book can be a win-win for both users and app owners.
- Strong community - It's encouraging when users know that other people can accompany them on their dieting journey.
4. Pain points of a diet planner app
- Users leave the platform if a lot of time is consumed in entering data and if the diet app becomes too troublesome to use. So, make sure that users will easily be able to add data to it. Also, it will be a nice user experience if the user can enter the data without an internet connection.
- Too expensive.
- The diet tracking app collects too much information on every step.
The fitness and nutrition app is challenging to use.
5. Type of nutrition database app
- Calorie counters - The most popular type of nutrition app whose primary purpose is to measure intake and burnt.calories consumed and burned by the user in a day. Here, a user sets a goal and their weight. Post that, user input information about their activities, daily food intake, and the app then calculates the consumption and burnt rate.
- Meal planning - Such apps help users track calories even before they eat. And users can choose their weight goals, diet, and food preferences. Based on the information provided, the app generates a detailed diet program for a day, week, or month.
- Marketplace - Marketplace apps help users connect with diet coaches for personalized health suggestions.
- Special diet app - An app for a selected target audience like a diet app for pregnant women, food intolerance apps containing a database of foods will tell you whether a specific food is compatible with your allergies or food sensitivities.
- Waterlogged apps - Help users make sure you're getting enough water by allowing you to take pictures of your drinking vessels automatically log your water intake. Users can set reminders also to drink fluids.
- Healthy choices - Apps like Shopwell helps you make healthy choices at the grocery store and how to create your own diet. Enter your fitness goals, nutritional requirements, and food sensitivities when you set up the app. Then, while shopping, you can scan the barcodes of items you're considering for information about the nutritional content.
6. How to monetize your diet & nutrition app
Once you have built a healthy eating log, diet, and food tracker app, it is apparent that you would contemplate ways to make money out of it.
- Subscription where users pay for accessing high-end features and content. The most popular way is to provide additional features to the paid users. You can build an app that is free for the public with some other paid features.
- Another way that is also common is to incorporate advertisements with your apps. However, it has its pros and cons. Ads may annoy your users, and they might uninstall your apps never to return.
- In-app advertising, the primary purpose is to keep users engaged. Behavioral data is analyzed and made available to advertisers willing to promote their services or goods.
A diet and nutrition app has immense market demand and opportunities. But how well you develop it at the best-optimized cost is of crucial importance. Much depends upon the kind of technology, features, framework, manpower involved. Our top web and mobile app development company will be more than happy to answer all your queries regarding app development and the estimated cost. Share your thoughts.